Windows XP All Editions SP3 and SP2 with SP1 (RTM) Boot Screen Proyect

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
MoielHumano

Windows XP All Editions SP3 and SP2 with SP1 (RTM) Boot Screen Proyect

Post by MoielHumano »

hello it's me again, I want to do a project which consists of changing the ugly and horrible bootscreens of windows xp sp2 and sp3 in all its editions (except for the x64 editions of windows xp)

and put the glorious and beautiful bootscreens of sp1 or rtm in default, but without bootskin xp and do it using the iso files and modifying things, do you think it's possible?

Meow

Re: Windows XP All Editions SP3 and SP2 with SP1 (RTM) Boot Screen Proyect

Post by Meow »

MoielHumano wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:41 pm
hello it's me again, I want to do a project which consists of changing the ugly and horrible bootscreens of windows xp sp2 and sp3 in all its editions (except for the x64 editions of windows xp)

and put the glorious and beautiful bootscreens of sp1 or rtm in default, but without bootskin xp and do it using the iso files and modifying things, do you think it's possible?
The Windows boot screen resources in XP are located in ntoskrnl.exe. You can modify it, but you have to also then re sign it using your own certificate and then also remove the original from dllcache. I don't know why you would want to replace the boot screen though, the only thing that changed from RTM August 2001 to the final updates released in 2017 was the removal of the edition text, and simplification of the copyright text. The color of the moving lines was also set to just blue across all editions.

MoielHumano

Post by MoielHumano »

Meow wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:35 pm
MoielHumano wrote:

The Windows boot screen resources in XP are located in ntoskrnl.exe. You can modify it, but you have to also then re sign it using your own certificate and then also remove the original from dllcache. I don't know why you would want to replace the boot screen though, the only thing that changed from RTM August 2001 to the final updates released in 2017 was the removal of the edition text, and simplification of the copyright text. The color of the moving lines was also set to just blue across all editions.
Yes I know, but it looks ugly that it is only called plain windows xp and does not have a badge on the bootscreen

AyamiOoruri29

Re: Windows XP All Editions SP3 and SP2 with SP1 (RTM) Boot Screen Project

Post by AyamiOoruri29 »

The only thing there is TuneUp Utilities, called TuneUp Styler, allowing to create custom boot screen (does work on Windows XP as well).
Discord: @Michelpuri#7783

dixieLH

Post by dixieLH »

you only see it for ~5 seconds -_-

AyamiOoruri29

Re: Windows XP All Editions SP3 and SP2 with SP1 (RTM) Boot Screen Project

Post by AyamiOoruri29 »

Here's the screenshot, which you can create/load boot screen (including ntoskrnl.exe file). it is possible load supported formats such as bmp (bitmap) although It works fine on TuneUp Styler.

Although it requires TuneUp Utilities installed, literally I installed it 2013 version.
Discord: @Michelpuri#7783

Meow

Post by Meow »

dixieLH wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:08 am
you only see it for ~5 seconds -_-
Yeah I never really understood why people change the boot screen. It's only there for a short time before it goes to the login screen.

WinSxS

Post by WinSxS »

MoielHumano wrote:
Open ntoskrnl (and its multiprocessor equivalent: ntkrnlmp.exe, ntkrnlpa.exe, ntkrpamp.exe) with ResHack.
Replace first bitmap with something what you want. SP3 (probably SP2 also) ignores overlay of Professional, which is located in another bitmap.
Remember, XP's bootscreen used different color palette and I modified it successfully in Paint Shop Pro 5, because Photoshop lacks this function works properly.

I did it myself for myself and because I can't upload whole file, here are the resources for manually replacing:

https://mega.nz/file/O40m1ArB#j4iIlrWnP ... LQ0B3iUZAk